Friday, October 28, 2005

Friendship

The folks living around Armadillo Creek are about as country as country can get. In some cases, families have lived there for generations - the town and outlying communities in many cases were settled in the early 1800's.

Johnny Miller's family had migrated to what would later become the United States in the late sixteen hundreds and early seventeen hundreds, prior to the Revolutionary War. Indeed, some parts of the family had been here for hundreds or maybe thousands of years, as members of the Cherokee Indian tribe. Some of the patriarchs were colonists in Virginia who fought for independence in the War.

Over the years, as the family grew and spread, roots were laid down in Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee, and the family continued to move westward. In the mid eighteen-hundreds, one branch of the family put roots down in the forested valleys outside of Armadillo Creek. This same, or similar stories, could be told for many people who would someday settle down in the beautiful hills around Armadillo Creek.

By the time the Civil War broke out, at least one of the members of the family, Johnny's great, great, great Grandfather Riley, fought in the state's infantry division. Riley's mother was a Cherokee Indian, and eventually, he would marry another. And their kids would stay and farm the lands and raise children here for many years.

The homesteads that were settled in those years between eighteen-fifty and nineteen-hundred would stay in the family for generations, before gradually being sold, as people moved on to new adventures, or the depression and drought forced them to find jobs elsewhere.

By the nineteen-seventies, when Johnny Miller was born, the town of Armadillo Creek had been through boom-times and bust-times, and had survived it all rather well. The folks were friendly. For the most part, they were "settled". There were new people moving in, gradually, as industry moved into the bigger towns nearby.

Johnny went to school with a lot of other kids, but they all knew each other. The Armadillo schools were the largest in the county, but to qualify that, his graduating class was only forty-three people. The smallest school had only about a dozen. Some of his classmates included cousins. Most of them probably were related in some form or another even without knowing it. Such was country life.

In early elementary school, Johnny's best friend was Clifton. Clifton lived almost all the way over in the next school district, and eventually, would change schools. He lived with his elderly grandparents, and always fascinated Johnny with his colorful language. Not the "colorful language" of today, which consists of many vulgarities, but a color born of being raised by old fashioned country folks. He would say, "Gosh darn it, that there tree root is in the way of our cars," as they made "roads" in the dust underneath a huge, old spreading cedar tree with their matchbox cars. The tree's tangled roots were wonderful place to drive their cars during recess, because some of the roots would stretch above ground for a ways, before gradually sinking into the dust and dirt. The possibilities were endless, with roads around the roots, under the roots, and in some places, over the roots.

Later, after Clifton moved away, a new kid moved into the area. James was a good kid. Quiet, but smart. Johnny and James became best of friends. They'd share thoughts and stories, and by this time, had outgrown the matchbox cars. They'd discuss books they had read, or comics, or ... pretty much anything that crossed their minds. Neither was too athletically inclined, and by the time they reached junior high school, neither cared to play sports, although they did the mandatory PE classes - as they had no choice in the matter.

Later in their school years, they would be joined by a younger boy, Bill. Bill, too, was a quiet, but smart, kid. By the time Johnny Miller and his friend James were in the tenth grade, and Bill was in the ninth, they were always together when they had the chance. They'd spend many an hour discussing books and music and movies and anything that they could think of. Sometimes, they'd talk about girls, but all of them were too shy to actually approach one with anything besides "friendly" intent.

The bonds of friendship forged in those days would last for many years, as each of the boys grew up and grew apart, and went his own way in the path of life. One would one day join the military and move far away. Another, would become a writer, and move away for a while, then return. And the third would move across the state to live in a bigger city where more opportunities existed. Through all the lifestyle changes that each encountered, this thread of friendship would bring them back together when times were tough.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Might I ask, where exactly is Armadillo Creek?

Arkansawyer said...

Well now, you might ask. I guess, it exists only in my memories. The town I grew up in didn't share the same name, but I've tried to tell stories of my memories, as I remembered feeling them at the time. That doesn't mean that the world I portray here, the town, really existed, except in a young boy's perceptions.

To answer your question, I'd rather not name the town. Just small town America, and since I am a member of the Arkansas blog ring, it's probably obvious that it's a town in Arkansas. I'd rather go no further than that. But, you're welcome to guess! =)

I appreciate your feedback and comments.

Susan said...

That's good enough. Your posts make me long to live there/then, wherever it might be. Thanks.

Arkansawyer said...

Well.. Now I live a long ways away from home, but I got back every chance I get. My point when I started this was to share memories of a day gone by, like what I used to hear my Dad and Uncles, and my Grandpa on the other side, tell when I was young. When they passed on, all those front porch stories were gone forever. Back then, we didn't think about using a tape recorder and no one had camcorders, to tell their stories.

As a youngster, I used to play with stereo equipment some - although it wasn't the expensive kind, maybe the Soundesign system from Wal Mart or a cassette recorder picked up at a yard sale, but I recorded my neices and nephews. I think I only have one tape now, from those days, although if I were to dig some, I might have more.

Maybe, someday, when the audio-blogger concept comes around a little more, I'll post part of the tape that my little nieces and nephew (one of whom is a parent now) created when my FFA pigs were being gathered up to take to the butcher. They were angry that I'd take my "pets" and allow them to be slaughtered. Truth of the matter is, I wasn't none to happy, either.

For now, it's nice to know that someone "gets it" and can see what I see when I look back. Thanks again for your comments!